Marchwiel Community Council (MCC) was established in 1985. Based on the 2021 Census, Marchwiel has a resident population of 2,204.
The Community Council consists of eleven members who volunteer their time. Marchwiel's area is divided into the following three wards:
Piercy - 6 community council members
Sontley - 2 community council members
Deniol - 3 community council members
The Council employs one p/t member of staff - the Clerk.
The Statutory and other powers of Marchwiel Community Council are varied, including:
- Making observations on all applications for planning permission within it's area.
- Responsible for the repairs and maintenance of their own 69 lights in Marchwiel. R&M Contract with Wrexham County Borough Councils
- pay for electricity supply
- Responsible for the repairs and maintenance of the play areas and MUGA (Multi Games Area). R&M Contract with WCBC
- Own and responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of Marchwiel Community Council's Burial Ground. (separate from the church)
- grounds maintenance;
- repairs to fences, replace footpaths;
- pay for water supply
- Responsible for the Marchwiel Nature Reserve. Work with Agencies to assist in the management of the facility.
- Provide and maintain the Welcome Garden. Recently replaced the three rotten wooden seats for three ECO benches
- Provide and maintain two noticeboards in Welcome Garden and Burial Ground
- Apply for Funding for various projects in the village including new seating, environmental projects and community facilities.
- Grant donations to the Church, Ysgol Deiniol and local charities and organisations
- Donate £8,000 towards the cost of Administration by the Rainbow Centre to manage the Village Hall
- Donated gloves to the volunteers attending duties during Covid-19
- Ensure the Councils Insurance includes Public Liability
- Pay for Website design and annual management and updates
- The Council has an internal Auditor who checks the finance procedures and documents are in place and approved.
- The Council then has an external Audit by Welsh Audit Office.
- Members liaise with Council officers to assist with issues raised within the village
- Members liaise with the Police who assist with issues in the village
- Members and the Clerk attend training courses essential for their roles
- Members discuss local planning applications
- Arrange Community Liaison and events. Easter celebrations, Garden and Hanging basket Competition; Village Scarecrow Competition; Remembrance Service, Christmas Carols at the Welcome Garden & Father Christmas visit. Pensioners Christmas lunch/party.
Click here to view the statutory and other powers of Marchwiel CC.